Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Cookies: Toffee Oat Wonders

Installment two of my soon to be weekly cookie experiment, there was generally wonderful feed back from the last cookies, the Mint Chocolate ones... but someone did not really like chocolate. So then I suggested Peanut Butter next time, and turns out someone does not like peanut butter. So I set off in to my cookie book (taste of home:cookies, pg 23 for those following at home) to find a cookie sans chocolate and sans peanut butter that I would like. There were lots of options, but these looked awesome. And turns out they are! Very straight forward (unlike the cake I am about to post) and very tasty.

Toffee Oat Wonders

4 dozen cookies
15 min prep
10-12 min bake @ 375 per batch.

 3/4 cup Butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
2 1/4 cup Old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 oz. English Toffee Bits **

** here is a little side note that is going to make Gramps get all red in the face. He may even write a strongly worded letter. It could get ugly. The recipe calls for One 10 oz Bag. Turns out all of the toffee bits I could find came in 8 oz bags. Then I looked around an all of the chocolate chips and whatnot were all in smaller sizes. So now we have to either resize our recipes, buy two bags of chips, or deal with a shortchange. I would much rather pay the 50 cents extra and outright know they have raised prices then have a false sense of price consistency. This is food inflation, and I want none of it.

Anyway... back to the cookies. Cream butter and sugars in a bowl until they are all smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. If you are doing this by hand (I was) be sure to get everything really well mixed, this will prevent lumps later on. Beat in vanilla. Set this aside.

In a different bowl mix everything minus the toffee bits together until well incorporated. Then slowly mix the dry bowl in to the creamed mixture. Once all of this is well mixed, toss in your toffee. Mix well.

Scoop a tablespoon size amount of batter and roll in to a ball, place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Give the balls lots of room to breathe (I managed 13 on each sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375, or until just turning brown on the edges. Remove from oven, let cool, then place on wire rack. Then consume and be happy.

I love cookies... what am I saying! I love food!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try these. They sound great. As you know I am not a big sweets fan, but I do have a weak spot for a good home baked cookie and these sound great.

    You are right... you will probably get a letter to the editor from the Great Herbwa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is behind this conspiracy? The next change that I expect to see will occur at the gasoline pump. Don't be surprised when you see gasoline priced at $3.159. Oh! Did I mention that it is for 48oz?

    ReplyDelete