Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tangy Beef and Vegetable Stew

Another cook book that I unearthed was my 'Taste of Home: Big Book of Soup.' Gwyn suggested that I try out a Stew this week. So I found this great one. I was amazed at the depth of taste, it was so good! For some reason I always think of stew as bland and comfort ish, this one was so flavorful. I did modify it a little to make it work for what I had.

Tangy Beef and Vegetable Stew

Serves 7-9 people
Approx Prep: 40 minutes
Approx Cook: 6 - 9 hours

3 - 4 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled, cubed
8 medium carrots, thickly sliced
2 medium onions
3 pounds Beef Stew meat, cut in large bite sized pieces
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup flour
3 beef bouillon cubes (the recipe called for 4, after tasting, you could use 2 and be fine)
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tablespoons prepared Horseraddish
4 tablespoons Mustard
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups sliced mushrooms

You can mess around with the proportions. I did. If you want a stronger taste add some more horseraddish, ketchup, mustard and vinegar.
I am really liking this kitchen!
Peel, chop, slice, and otherwise prepare the potatoes, onion and carrot. Assemble and mix up at the bottom of a crock pot.


I do love my crock :)
In a fry pan, brown the beef in the oil, just getting the outside cooked. As the stew...  well stews... the meet will fully cook. When beef is done, place on top of the potato/vegetable mix in crock pot. Sprinkle with flour.


Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water. Mix well. Add vinegar, ketchup, mustard, horseradish and sugar. Pour over beef.

I added this step for my own piece of mind. Add water to the pot until just about to cover the vegetables. This might not be necessary as everything starts to combine together the liquid level will rise.


Cover and set crock pot to cook on High for 5 hours, or low for 8-9 hours (or how ever long you are at work). Add peas, corn and mushrooms. Stir, smell the goodness. Cook on High for 45 minutes - 1 hour. 

After a full day of stewing. Oh boy, did it smell good.

I assembled this Sunday evening and cooked it during the day on Monday. As I started to make the recipe I realized that my crock pot would not hold everything, so I split everything in two and froze the ingredients for another week!





No comments:

Post a Comment