Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Third Day: A little more restfull

I am currently sitting in to ECE Masters Study area and Lounge, a space set aside for the professional masters students because we don't get offices. Down here there are lockers for us to store stuff over the day, a large "lab type" area for computer work and studying, a side room for group studying complete with a whiteboard, and a little kitchen. I am sipping on some hot tea in honor of James (I didn't have to use my body to get it, unlike some people).

So after a lot of walking and talking, and a little worrying, I am now enrolled in 3 courses, and am considered a full time student. My courses are as follows:

15-781 (10-781) Machine Learning
Monday and Wednesday from 10:30AM to 11:50AM
In a nutshell, how can we get a system to take in stimulus or data, process the data, and then figure out what the next move is. The overall goal are systems that improve their performance over multiple iterations. Think of a GPS unit that would learn your driving habits, and your preferences and know how to direct you based on that. So if you are in an area that you know, it might take you a more complicated, but efficient way, and if you are in a completely new area it would take you on a very easy to follow path (not like mine in downtown Pittsburgh).

15-861 Computational Photography
Tuesday and Thursday 12:00PM to 1:20PM
Going to the first lecture, this has the potential to be an amazing course. We are going to be looking at how to take a picture and enhance it. The professor is currently doing work in working on an algorithm to take a 2D picture of an object, like a building or a train, and reconstruct it in a 3D model. The little demo he had was amazing! Some of our projects are going to be along the lines of panoramic stitching, Colorizing old negatives and Photographic morphing. G'pa Bob, hopefully, I will be sending you some awesome pictures.

16-764 Ethnography: Analyzing how context affects Technology Use
Friday 12:00 PM to 2:50 PM
 I don't really know a ton about this course, seeing as I have not been to lecture yet. It is a course in their robotics  program, looking at how technology gets used in society and how to better apply technology to a given problem. Ill let you know more on Friday after class.

Because of how the computer science department works (they have a two week orientation that started on Monday) I don't have any class today. I am not sure how I am going to fill my time... I might go check out the Phipps conservatory, it is right next to campus, and I get in for free!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had yourself a relaxing day. The conservatory is breath taking. I'm so glad to hear that you are now enrolled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you do not have any classes before 10:30AM. That is early enough for me.

    The facial recognition part of Photoshop Elements blows my mind. And just think, you are going to be able to explain "how do they do that" That will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete