Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Na nu nu nu nu nu nu nu BATMAN!

I don't know why it has taken me this long to write about this... but I was inspired as I drove past the Mellon Institute yesterday... were it had apparently 'snowed' the day before.

So 'Magnus Rex' (aka The Dark Night Rises) is the third and final film in Christopher Nolan's re-imagination of the Batman story. Turns out a large part of the filming is happening here in Pittsburgh. I knew about this when about 2 months ago they had open casting calls for Pittsburgh locals to be businessmen, lawyers, police men, sports fans (yeah, Pittsburghers do that well)... ect. I would have totally shown up, but the majority of filming is taking place next week and the week after. Sadly I will not be in town.

Like I mentioned before, they are currently filming at the Mellon Institute, where you might see scenes like this:

Yep... it is definitely snowing in Pittsburgh... in 87 degree heat and 75% humidity
For those of you who don't know the geography of Pittsburgh, the Mellon Institute is on 5th Avenue, about 2 blocks away from the CMU campus, and right next to the Cathedral of Learning. Speaking of the CoL, outside, on Bigelow Blvd, taking up an entire block are all of the trailers and storage and whatnot for the movie. So basically the Batmobile is parked out front of the Cathedral of Learning. So stinking cool!

There have been many sightings of actors and heroes, Gotham City Police Cars, The iconic Batmobile and motorcycle. Check out this link. In general the city is getting really excited (as they should be.) Supposedly you can see this downtown at night (I have not seen it yet, but I am going to try before I leave):


Possibly the coolest thing that is going to happen will be this Saturday. Check out this link first. Basically there is going to be a scene taking place at a "Gotham Rogues" football game (aka Steelers). They are inviting as many people as they can get to come down and be part of the filming... I really wish I could be there.

The blog Boring Pittsburgh is so far the go to source for Batman stuff, if you want to read more, I suggest you check it out..

No comments:

Post a Comment