Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pie Pockets

You may be thinking that I like pies... you are wrong. I love pies. I love eating pie. I love making pies. I love stories about pies (Pushing Daisies). So I was having a hard time naming this, I could not call them Mini Pies (already used), and they are similar to Pie-rogies, so they get to be Pie Pockets.

For Christmas my lovely Cousins (including my Aunt and Uncle) got me a mini pie press. It is a little red clam shell press that makes hot pocket sized goodies. In fact you could make hot pockets! Needless to say, I was super excited about using it.

I decided to start slow. We had some strawberries from new years (strawberries in sauce, heavily preserved), my mom had some frozen apple and cherry pie filling. To encapsulate in flaky goodness, I put together some of my pie dough. See the above mini pies and pierogies for the recipe.

(speak this next part in pirate) Here be the process:

Roll out dough.
Conveniently punch out nicely sized rectangles.
Lay down a layer in mold, fill with desired
Brush some egg wash for sealing, add another layer.
Fold and press. This got a little messy. Add an egg wash and cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 20 or so minutes at 400 degrees.
Take out of oven.
Enjoy little pockets of joy.
 One thing that would really help in this process would be to make little incisions in the top to let steam vent. I did not do this. So... that means that the seams broke and juice seeped everywhere. And then burned.

The pies turned out great!! Thank You Tomlinsons! Great Gift! Not that this should be interpreted as the reason for this, but you should receive a thank you note soon!

1 comment:

  1. So the cousins are "lovely" not the Aunt and Uncle?!! Couldn't let that one go!

    Love the fact that you liked the silly little pie press ... it just looked like it was calling your name! I anticipate many creative pie pocket recipes to come!

    Enjoy!

    Auntie Donna

    P.S. I think you need to create smell o vision for the internet so we can enjoy the aroma!

    ReplyDelete