Thursday, September 13, 2012

LaBOR Day, more like LAWESOME Day.

Labor day weekend, while a little bit ago was awesome!

Started with Ben calling Gwyn and I as inviting us to explore the Charles River via kayak. He had a google coupon, and it was nearing the end of the deal, so this was a perfectly timed trip. There is an outfit that operates right on the water, near Kendal Square. They have you talk a short quiz to make sure you are not going to get in to too much trouble, then life vest on. And you are good to go. The three of us were in an individual boat, and set off in to the wild river. It was a little windy, but other than that, a wonderful sunny clear day. Ben lead us over to the side of the Esplanade, a natural park area right next to Beacon Hill. Lots of people out. Cool environment. And really fun being in the boats. After 1.5 hours out on the water, we made it back through the community sailing lesson and back to the dock.

After the boating we walked over with two of Ben's friends to Ole'Cito (Mexican inspired lunch shop) and dined on the finest Tortas Boston has to offer.

Later in the evening Gwyn and I met up with Krishna (a coworker) and Emilie at the Danvers LazerQuest. You all know that I love LazerQuest. As I told my friends here: It was a staple of my childhood. It was a staple of High School. It was a staple of college. And I may or may not go back whenever I am back in town. Needless to say, I have spent a lot of time in the Spokane LazerQuest. I was really excited when I saw that there were two within reasonable driving distance of the apartment. It was on the backside of a strip mall, kind of weird to get to, but walking in was like a flash to Spokane. It is obvious that the two locations are franchised by the same company, everything was the same, but in a different building. The first game, with 12 or so people, I got up to speed quickly, and dominated. The next round was full of high school lacrosse players, who were super aggressive, heeding not to the players code (no running, jumping, climbing, covering sensors, physical contact.... so on). These guys were amusing to play with, but I did not do as good as I should have, but Emilie got 3rd! The the last game was just the 4 of us. In a speed round (you only go down for 1 second, not the normal 5 seconds after being hit). Gwyn cleaned up. She walked out of there with 600 points! A good 200 points over me, and 400 over Krishna and Emilie. It was a great time, everyone had a lot of fun.

Then, as if my Saturday was not fun filled enough, we went to a Friendly's near LazerQuest. I was not aware of Friendly's before this, but apparently it is a big deal. Basically American food, but with great ice cream! Not like a burger with ice cream in it, but a burger with ice cream after it. It was a great evening, Krishna and Emilie are great!

Then, on Labor Day itself, Gwyn and I were challenged to a culinary competition... more like we were invited to eat a lot of super tasty grilled cheese! Marissa hosted a grilled cheese party, complete with awards! I won the best 'Dessert Sandwich', with an Apple Pie on Cinnamon Toast, and the 'Best Effort, Worst Sandwich" for my completely lackluster Mac&Cheese Sandwich. I got to eat a whole bunch more creations by other people. It was a fun relaxing evening. And a great end to a sweet weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Have I really failed to tell you my love of Friendly's Hot Fudge Sundaes!!!!! I was first introduced to Friendly's when we lived in Poughkeepsie. Probably the only place I would ever order one to this day. LOVE their nuts!!!! (no comments about my Christmas logic problem I no longer use due to you!!!). Anyway, glad you got to experience it. Sounds like a fun packed day!

    ReplyDelete