Friday, July 6, 2012

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Chocolate Mint Chocolate Cookie

Mint and Basil. Rocking the window.
As part of my apartment gardening experiment, I found that mint is a very aggressive and prolific plant. I saw that there was a vine that was threatening my chive plant (also known to be aggressive) so I decided to pull the mint out of the railing planter and re-pot it in a jar for inside.

This turned out great! And the mint is still really aggressive, trying to grow in to the window glass... or the drywall... or another pot that I put next to it (I now have two plants!). Needless to say I had to find a good way to use all of this mint, Gwyn made some mint lemonade, and we added some mint to our coffee, but still I was growing faster than we could use it.

I decided to modify a chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe to be a vessel for the mint. The cookie revived the mint very nicely, possibly one of my personal favorites from the Sunday cookies. So if you have a overzealous mint plant, this is the right thing to do with it.



Chocolate Chocolate Chip Chocolate Mint Chocolate Cookie

1 cup soft butter
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Cups Chocolate chips (8 oz by volume, I just used a bag)
2 cups Fresh Mint (3-6 sprigs, 18 - 40 quarter sized leaves)

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 12 Minutes

Pre Heat oven to 350

Cream the sugar, brown sugar and butter to a nice soft consistency. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well mixed.

Gwyn helped me out on this adventure!
In a different bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Once well mixed together, slowly add to butter/sugar mixture. Mix well until dough forms.

Finely chop mint leaves, the finer the better. Add chopped mint and chocolate chips to dough, fold until well incorporated.
Go from this...
...to This!
Place spoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet, bake for 12 minutes. Remove, and cool.
Mmmmm....

Enjoy the lovely mint overtones with a great chocolate cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment